Saturday 21 December 2013

Picture This by Abie Longstaff



This is just a little post to highlight a small, but fantastic, exhibition at the British Library. 

‘Picture This’ closes on the 26th of January so, if you love illustration and you haven’t seen it yet, I really recommend a visit (and it’s free!).

In reviews of picture books the emphasis is so often on words rather than illustration, but this exhibition focuses entirely on the pictures; with original artwork, old books and video interviews.

In an age of ebooks, there’s something quite awe-inspiring about being a few centimetres away from classic illustrators’ work such as this wonderful drawing of Willy Wonka by Quentin Blake, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:





As well as showcasing the art, the exhibition also looks at how well-know characters from books have been interpreted and reinterpreted over the years.

This is David Roberts's take on Mole from Wind in the Willows:

 
There are more pictures of the exhibition on the BritishLibrary Facebook page.

Have a lovely Christmas!


5 comments:

Jane Clarke said...

Yes, do go if you can, it's a lovely little exhibition and if you have the time you can use headphones to hear some of the artists (eg Lauren Child) talk about their work. Happy holidays, all x

Jon Burgess Design said...

Drat! I was in town on Tuesday and would have gone if I had known. Well, it's a good excuse for another trip down ;-)
(the Stanley Spencer at Somerset House is worth a look too. . )

Paeony Lewis said...

Thanks for reminding me, Abie, that I must get my act together and visit before 26 January. Too many times I think to myself I'd like to visit an exhibition, and then I forget, darn it.

Moira Butterfield said...

Lovely! Thanks, Abie.

Anne Booth said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. I will take my family. And having seen the comment re Stanley Spencer I will try to do that too - as well as our favourite, The Illustration Cupboard.