Just because I spend my time writing sweet and lovely picture books doesn’t mean I’m not the ambitious type.
When I was 10 I wanted to:
- Score the winning goal for Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup Final.
- Win Wimbledon, and run fast enough to win an Olympic Gold Medal for Ireland.
- Be on Top of the Pops and have a number one hit single.
When I was 20 I wanted to:
- Change the world.
- Avoid work.
- Make babies.
When I was 30 I wanted to:
- Get out of advertising.
- Get out of town.
When I was 40 I wanted to:
- Run away and write.
When I was 50 I wanted to:
- Make the perfect picture book.
- Become a smiley grandad.
- Go home to Ireland.
Now I’m 60 and a bit I want to:
- Run 5k in under 25 minutes.
- Climb Everest.
- Spend time with my lovely grandchildren
and Make the perfect picture book.
Some things change. Some things stay the same.
Malachy's latest book is Sea Stories (OUP Treetops). There are others on the way from Walker Books, from Firefly Press, from Parragon, Pearson and hopefully, maybe, more.