Monday 17 December 2018

Gift-Wrapped Characters Christmas Quiz

When I was a child, part of the excitement of the run-up to Christmas was shaking, squeezing and even sniffing the gift-wrapped presents beneath our Christmas tree in an attempt to deduce what was inside. For this year's Christmas quiz, I've gift-wrapped 10 picture book characters. Since shaking, squeezing and sniffing are not options, you'll have to work out who they are from their outlines alone. How many can you identify?

Click on each image to reveal the answer

1.


2.


3.


4.


5.


6.


7.


8.


9.


10.



How did you do?

10All present and correct: Your picture book character recognition skills are exemplary!
7–9Gifted: You know your Seuss from your Scheffler.
4–6Some contents missing: Not bad, but perhaps you should add a few picture book classics to your Christmas list.
1–3A bad wrap: You need to brush up on your picture book knowledge.


After five years writing for Picture Book Den, this is my last post as a Den member (although I may return for the occasional guest post).  I've enjoyed being part of the team, but it's time for me to move on and focus on other commitments. Thanks to everyone at the Den for their support and friendship over the last few years and thanks to all the Den readers that have shared or commented on my posts.


Jonathan Emmett's delightfully dark Christmas picture book The Santa Trap, illustrated by Poly Bernatene, is available in a UK paperback print-on-demand edition from Hatchling Books and a US Hardback edition from Peachtree Publishers. 

Find out more about Jonathan and his books at his Scribble Street web site or his blogYou can also follow Jonathan on Facebook and Twitter @scribblestreet.

11 comments:

Jane Clarke said...

Thanks for wrapping it up in a fun way :-) All the best, Jonathan, look forward to your guests posts in the future. BTW I got 9/10, having been flummoxed by 7.

Lucy Rowland said...

I got 8 out of 10 and was annoyed I didn't get number 1! What a great idea for a Christmas quiz! How did you make the pictures?

Jonathan Emmett said...

You're welcome, Jane. I thought 7 might catch some people out. I suppose it could be said to show 4 characters.

Jonathan Emmett said...

Thanks, Lucy. I made the images using Photoshop's "layer mask" and "drop shadow" functions.

Juliet Clare Bell said...

Thanks, Jonathan. I got 1 and 7 wrong this year -I'm slipping! We'll miss you here. Thanks for all your posts and really good luck with your new books and campaigning. Clare x

Jonathan Emmett said...

I think 1 and 7 are probably the most difficult. Thanks for your good wishes, Clare. It's been a pleasure to share a blog with you. :)

malachy doyle said...

Nice final flourish, Jonathan! Thanks for all your excellent contributions to the Den, and good luck in the future.

Natascha Biebow said...

Wow, such a lot of fun! Thanks, Jonathan!

Garry Parsons said...

I got 9 out of 10! It's the dinosaur coming out of the bucket that flummoxed me. Thank you Jonathan. All the best and Merry Christmas.

Hot Frog said...

Also a 9 and stumbled on those pesky dinosaurs. Good quiz tho, thanks.

Paeony Lewis said...

There's a dinosaur coming out of a bucket?! I must have guessed wrong! Thanks for all your great blog posts, Jonathan.