Monday 21 August 2023

Does writing make you sick? Moira Butterfield

 Full-time writing seems like a safe enough physical job, right? Well, yes, but let’s check a few things about our working situation. I’d like to hear any thoughts or solutions that you may be trying to ensure your own workaday health. 

 

Sitting for hours 

Any job that involves sitting at a screen for hours isn’t that safe. We risk weight gain and lack of fitness creeping upon us. Apparently it generally slows the metabolism. In fact, looking this up online I’ve rather scared myself! 

 

I am guilty of not addressing this. I did buy a fitness watch that buzzed and told me to move every half an hour. I found it really irritating and haven’t worn it for ages! I also fail to take lunch breaks – when I could be doing a quick walk. I’m attempting to build in a lunch break, without much success, I have to admit, as I keep forgetting to stop. 

 

So what’s the answer? Does anyone have any good tips on moving around regularly when you are busy working? 

 

Repetitive strain injury 

This is a painful thing, when continual typing causes the arm to become inflamed – with pain in the wrist and sometimes right up to the shoulder. I can give you a tip here – Get a wrist support for your desk. I used to have a long bar-shaped one and I have one built into my mouse mat. I find it has solved things for me but you might need to experiment to get the one you like best. 

 

Back pain 

This is down to your typing chair, and the wrong one can have a big effect. You need to experiment to get the best one for you. I have an Ikea gaming chair with a small long cushion right at the base of my back, to support it. I find the cushion gives me good upright posture. A gaming chair is designed for computer gamers who spend long hours at the screen, so they are ergonomically good for writers, too. 


My Ikea gaming chair with back cushion 


 

Headaches 

This may sound weird but the angle you look at your screen can give you headaches. I have found that adjusting my monitor height and angle helps here, so I’m not straining my neck muscles. I have my laptop raised on a box and my big monitor raised on a stand. Experimenting with this is worth trying as one possibility to improve headaches. 


My work set-up, with raised screens and a wrist support mat 


 

Mental health 

Working on your own is weird. It’s isolating. Trying to make a living from writing is weird, too. It comes with a lot of mental challenges – from self-confidence failure to imposter syndrome, from self-destructive jealousy of other writers to problems with publishers, disappointment and dashed hopes…It takes a lot of strength to get through it sometimes. 

 

I was given a good tip on why it’s worth spending time addressing your own mental health. People in other professions get plenty of career progression training, so think of yourself as your own employer. Give yourself that training. Mix with other sympathetic writers in a safe supportive arena where you can discuss feelings. Maybe even arrange some counselling for yourself. Here are two UK links to explore. 

 

https://www.wellbeinginthearts.org.uk/#

 

https://dreamauthorcoaching.com


PS: I also have a 'pinboard of positivity' by my work station. I pin on images/messages to help me stay upbeat. I have neglected it recently so I'm now revamping! It's only a small thing but it's there to help my state of mind. 


My pinboard of positivity - going through a revamp. 


 

Please do add your own writing health tips below. 

 

Stay well, and happy writing! 

 

Moira Butterfield 

www.moirabutterfield.co.uk

twitter @moiraworld 

instagram @moirabutterfieldauthor

threads @moirabutterfieldauthor 

12 comments:

Lynne Benton said...

Great post, Moira, and so true! When I'm busy writing I really can't keep getting up every half hour or so or I'd lose the thread, so I think that's advice for someone who isn't a writer (given by someone else who isn't a writer!) I totally agree with the wrist rest though - I bought one years ago (on the advice of a writer), and don't know how I'd manage without it.
Good luck with your current book, and well done with all your others!

Pippa Goodhart said...

Good to stop and think about these things, thank you, Moira. I've found that pilates classes have helped me enormously with posture, core muscles being built into a better support.

I also regard my very much enjoyed (whatever the weather!) morning dog walk as 'walking to work'.

Anonymous said...

Treadmill under standing desk - have had it for over ten years. It eliminated all symptoms of entrenched osteoarthritis in knees (was anticipating knee replacement), I lost weight, bp and heart rate reduced and ideas flow better. On desk days I typically do 20k+ steps.

Anonymous said...

I don’t know why I came out as anonymous – it’s Nicola Morgan here!

Anonymous said...

Great post! Especially timely for me as I have been struggling with back issues and also anxiety over my current WIP and other publishing-related issues. Checking in with fellow writers is a lifeline at the moment. Thank you for addressing this.

Anonymous said...

I don’t know why I am anonymous either! It is Anna Wilson!

Lynne Garner said...

I never used to worry when I was teaching in class as I was always on my feet, so that compensated for the time I spent sitting writing. That changed with covid as I was sitting in front of the laptop for the entire working day. I have a shaped back/spine pad on my chair and wrist support. Plus just a few days ago I started to use a high stand for my laptop.

Moira Butterfield said...

A writer friend got a great tip from her husband who works for hours in editing suites with demanding film directors. He said always have a bottle of water to hand and you'll naturally need to go the loo more, hence making you move!

Juliet Clare Bell said...

Hi Moira,
Really important to think about. I've just started elevating my laptop a bit (easier on my eyes with my varifocals so I don't have to put myself at strange angles in order to read it properly but it was uncomfortable to put my elbows on the desk so I could reach the laptop to type. I'm currently using a cushion to lean my elbows on (on my desk) and it works much better. But what I should do is get a separate keyboard! I still mostly write with a terrible posture on my bed, but I've been lucky so far without getting back problems. I'm trying to write less on the laptop and more on paper and that's definitely better for me in all kinds of ways.
Best things for me: get good sleep, eat the right things, contact with others and really crucially -absolutely no scrolling on a phone before 11am (and then I've usually lost the temptation). Best for mental health and productivity -for me: writing from 6-7am without talking to anyone first...

Moira Butterfield said...

I would recommend a separate keyboard, Juliet. Better for the wrist perhaps. I also have a big screen connected to laptop I so I don't need to be looking at the little screen. I do loads of writing on paper first before I get to the screen btw.

HopeO said...

Thanks for posting this article! Sitting on a chair for a long time can cause back pain along with other joint pains. It also makes you lazy and eventually it comes to gaining weight. You may damage your body in many ways that you don't know, especially your kidney. You can take your advice from a professional renal transplantation center.

HopeO said...

Sitting on a chair with such kind of pillows is not completely healthy. It can make your posture back really bad and it might start paining. If your guess tells you it is related to a kidney or other organ you can contact the living donor kidney transplant.